In August of 2019 I discovered Yoga Nidra. Life has been different ever since. In the week of focused practice at Yogaville with Julie Lusk, I was able to move and process emotion that I hadn’t been able to release through other mind based modalities. Since then I have experienced much more authentic joy. I’ve learned that it’s always there for me and I can access joy at any time, even under stressful circumstances. This has been a powerful discovery. Part of my experience was training and since then I’ve run some 5-week classes in Arlington, a 3-day retreat combining Yoga Nidra with other mind and energy based therapies, and a few one time sessions for specific groups. Most people are doing it for the first time. They also love the practice. And they ask about resources for resources for continuing to learn and experience the practice.
The very best way to practice Yoga Nidra, in my opinion, is in community with live guidance. By setting aside the time and space, you are more likely to be able to remove other distractions and enter deeply into the “yogic sleep” state. And while the practice is inner work, the energy of human contact and community helps to enhance it. Below are some local opportunities (if you know of some that I have missed please let me know):
Note: This post will be updated and expanded as new information is received. To be notified by email subscribe to our newsletter at the bottom of this page. You can also follow me on Instagram @dccouplestherapist and Heartswell @liveheartswell where we post reminders events and classes along with other reminders for day to day living.
My live offerings at 1600 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, VA 22204:
- 5-Week Series – Restore & Explore, Fridays 7:00 a.m. (recurring series, see here for upcoming dates) LINK
- Yoga Nidra Beginners – 3rd Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. (2/19, 3/18, 4/15, 5/20, 6/17) LINK
- Yoga Nidra Advanced – 1st Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. (3/4, 4/1, 5/6, 6/3, 7/1) LINK
- Fall 3-Day (and possible 1-day) Restore & Explore DC Retreat with Robert Hartford (I will update this post when dates are set, you can also go to our events page)
Other live offerings:
- Bhakti Yoga DC – “Hour of Deep Rest” – Brian Fouche – Sundays 5:45-6:45p, 5th and K NW. Brian and I trained together at Yogaville in August 2019 with Julie Lusk so I trust he is following her method. LINK
- Sun and Moon Studio – “Yoga Nidra” – Arlington, VA Monthly on Fridays 6:30-7:30 (at the time of this blog post). I have never been to this class and don’t know the teacher, Debbie Sheetz. It’s listed as a “workshop”. LINK
- Yogaville – “Yoga Nidra for Complete Relaxation and Stress Relief”, a 3-day workshop with Julie Lusk, August 21-23. This is at Yogaville, an ashram in Buckingham, VA about 3 hours from DC. LINK
It can be difficult to get schedules to cooperate with offerings and we will benefit from doing the practice more than monthly. You can learn to do the practice with your own mind. But most prefer guidance. Below are resources for online recordings.
Free Yoga Nidra recordings:
- My recordings (in production, check back for links)
- Yoga Nidra Network – I only tried one on this site and it was pretty short and didn’t go through all 5 stages. You’ll have to sift through to see what you can find.
- Search YouTube. There are short and long ones. In addition to searching for “Yoga Nidra”, you can search “iRest”, a meditation practice that originated in Yoga Nidra.
Books & CDs:
- Yoga Nidra for Complete Relaxation and Stress Relief, by Julie Lusk. A book about the practice, the benefits and science, as well as how to get the most out of your practice. Includes 3 downloads.
- Anything else by Julie Lusk. Her practices are more deep and thorough than any others I have found. I just love Julie Lusk!
- Yoga Nidra: Sacred Sleep
- Yoga Nidra – Deep Relaxation Practice